While things have slowed down for many during the pandemic, life is full of so much as we live within our four walls. It’s been a challenging season that’s included more pressure, stressors and family home all at once. There’s never been a time more important than carving out your own space to create calm. These 7 ideas to soothe & create calm will change your life and your mood. Believe it or not, most of these ideas are incredibly simple, accessible and relaxing.
7 Easy Ways to Create Calm and Change Your Mood
- Enjoy a luxurious bath or shower. Indulge in the “good” bath products. We found a pretty amazing selection of bath & beauty products made with holistic ingredients at Whole Foods, Sprouts and Target. A long, hot shower with beachy sandalwood soap infused with actual sand exfoliants after a long day of taking care of everyone else restored my soul!
- You know that diffuser you own? Fill it up and take it for a spin! When I was undergoing surgery and treatment for breast cancer, a friend who was a breast cancer survivor, shared how amazing eucalyptus, lavender and rosemary can be to refresh and help breathe better post op. It also helped heal my spirit and make a hospital room less austere feeling. Orange and rosemary invigorate & increase clarity while working. Frankincense, myrrh and cedar so soothing. If you don’t have one, you can grab one on Amazon for a song, or maybe the whole album but seriously so enjoyable. (Relaxing tunes are fab, too!)
- Roll out that yoga mat, strrrretch! And meditate. It’s simple as closing your eyes for a few minutes. Stepping away from your computer or device will do good. If giving your back and mind a rest isn’t reason enough. My eye doctor shared (I always pay attention because as a photographer my eyes are so important!) that we get dry eyes from looking at a screen and blink less because of it, so give those babies a rest. 5-15 minutes just might amaze you! Simple Habit app is awesome & free to try. No affiliate here but love this ap! On A Beautifully Curated Life Resources we will be sharing meditations audio/video clips, too! Check them out.
- Don’t feel the least bit guilty about giving yourself some time. Studies have shown there are incredible health benefits to meditation from slowing down and simply being mindful.
- Get outside. If you can’t go far, your garden, yard or patio are the best. Have some gorgeous wind chimes and maybe plant or bring home some herbs to make the space more inviting. Our garden has lavender by the gate. Putting your hands & feet in the dirt has been shown to be grounding & therapeutic. I love basil, cilantro and rosemary….Did ya know rosemary was considered the herb of friendship in ancient times?
- Feeling lazy when it’s time to meal prep or make dinner with all the added responsibility that the season has brought? Make a smoothie to enjoy some whole, raw, nutritious food to refresh yourself. When I was getting ready for my cancer surgeries and needed a simple meal solution, I found Daily Harvest smoothies which are amazingly delish. So easy to make and happen to fit in your freezer. It was an awesome solution to eat clean and healthy but still care for myself with something that tasted good. Not sponsored. I genuinely think they’re great and worth the props! They have great bowls and energy bites too. I’ve really enjoyed them over the years and they have been a lifesaver to keep me on track when I really wanted to hit a drive-thru. Here’s a promo code to take $25 bucks off your next box. https://daily-harvest.com. RE-278S2SL
- Write three things you have accomplished in your journal . 1 thing that you’ve amazed yourself with. Send yourself a little love from your imaginary bestie calling your out for all your awesomeness. You more than anyone deserve kindness, compassion, time and the space to care for yourself. Great job & let us know which of these you made space for and if you’d like to hear more ideas for making life more calm.
For more tips & resources, visit our resources page.
If you could still use a little inspiration or encouragement, hop on over to Instagram @carolineand.co
Have A Beautifully Curated Day Friends!